Has been updated: March 24, 2023 at 12:45 PM
PHOENIX — For the first time in Arizona, a snakebite victim was recently given antivenom outside a hospital.
Daniel Steininger, 77, was hiking with his wife on Mesa’s Hawes Trail System when a rattlesnake bit his left ankle, Banner Health said in a press release Friday.
Crew members administered antivenom treatment while he was transported to hospital in Banner Air, the medical network’s helicopter ambulance.
Steininger received additional treatment at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix and was discharged.
“My recovery has been absolutely dramatic compared to most, thanks to the quick action of the entire staff and EMTs on site.
“I really appreciate the crew here, from the emergency room to the nurses to the toxicologists. They are all amazing!”
BannerAir, through its partnership with Rare Disease Therapeutics, began delivering antivenom by helicopter last August.
“We are honored and proud to offer this unique, life-saving treatment in the field as part of our commitment to the Arizona community,” said Aimee Kollat, Chief Flight Nurse, BannerAir, in a release. I’m here.
More than 200 rattlesnake bites are reported each year in Arizona. Cold-blooded venomous reptiles become more active as temperatures rise.
Anyone who has been bitten should call 911 and seek medical evaluation, regardless of symptoms.
“If you are bitten by a rattlesnake while hiking, the most important thing is to get to the hospital as soon as possible,” said Dr. Anne-Michelle Ruha, director of medical toxicology at Banner – University Medical. Center Phoenix said in a release.
“In this case, BannerAir actually had antivenom on hand and the patient was treated less than an hour after the bite, which is very impressive.”