Second American dies of suspected meningitis after surgery in Mexico


news

May 25, 2023 | 7:47 PM


A second American who underwent surgery in Mexico died of suspected fungal meningitis, officials said Wednesday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that at least 224 more Americans are at risk of contracting the deadly infection.

This outbreak is associated with a patient who received an epidural injection during a procedure at the Riverside Surgical Center and Clinica K-3 in the border town of Matamoros.

Both clinics across the border in Brownsville, Texas, have since been closed as officials investigate the deadly outbreak.

The CDC on Tuesday issued a travel advisory for US residents crossing the border seeking medical care after a Texan died earlier this month from a suspected illness.

Mexico’s Ministry of Health sent out a list of 221 American patients who underwent epidurals at any clinic between January and May. Three more unlisted cases have also been confirmed, according to the CDC.

Mexico has been grappling with the epidemic since late last year, but the U.S. didn’t catch the outbreak until earlier this month, when five people from Texas who underwent surgery there had a suspected case of fungal meningitis. It was when I got sick.


Authorities tracked the outbreak at two clinics in the border town of Matamoros, near Brownsville, Texas.
AFP (via Getty Images)

At least two Americans have died from the infection.
AFP (via Getty Images)

“It is very important that people who have recently undergone medical procedures in Mexico monitor themselves for symptoms of meningitis,” Texas Department of Health Commissioner Jennifer Schford said in a statement. .

“Meningitis, especially when caused by bacteria or fungi, can be a life-threatening disease if not treated promptly.”

Meningitis is a swelling of the protective lining of the brain and spinal cord that requires urgent treatment. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and sensitivity to light. Meningitis can be caused by viruses, bacteria, trauma, or fungi.


The patient developed fungal meningitis after being injected via epidural anesthesia during surgery.
Universal Images Group (Getty Images)

Patients in the Texas case began showing symptoms 3 days to 6 weeks after surgery in Matamoros.

Experts say it’s common for people to leave the United States for prescription drugs, dental procedures, surgeries and other forms of medical care (also known as medical tourism). Mexico, Canada, India and Thailand are all popular destinations.

with post wire




load more…





https://nypost.com/2023/05/25/2nd-american-dies-of-suspected-meningitis-after-surgery-in-mexico/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Copy the URL and share



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *