WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE Paul Hickman, 44, has filed a lawsuit against the NHS England Trust which has admitted a breach of duty led to his ‘extended hospitalization’.
A patient who suffered severe burns to his buttocks from surgery that left him with lifelong scars was paid after he complained to the NHS.
Paul Hickman, 44, underwent routine surgery to improve circulation in his legs after doctors misused a heated mattress.
He suffered significant burns as a result of an alcohol-based solution contacting the back of both thighs and his back. .
Paul has filed a lawsuit against the NHS England Trust which has admitted that a breach of duty led to his ‘extended hospitalization’.
He has now received an apology and an undisclosed payment to access the continued support he needs following his injury, reports Coventry Live.
Paul said: But after that, all I remember is the excruciating pain. When I was told that I had been burned, I was shocked and at first it was difficult for me to understand.
“While the burns are healing, I still have a lot of marks and scars. They feel dry.’ They have to be scaly and creamed.
“The hardest thing to come to terms with is what I feel could have been and should have been avoided. Nothing makes up for what happened, but at least I’m glad I got an answer. Instead, we can start looking to the future.
“I hope that by sharing my story, I can prevent something like this from happening to someone else.
After the surgery, it was revealed that Paul complained of severe pain and suffered burns to his thighs and buttocks. An NHS investigation found that after another patient suffered burns in 2016, the type of treatment Paul underwent stopped using heated mattresses.
The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust, which operates Russell Hall, has confirmed that the use of heated mattresses during surgery is inappropriate. The report found that Paul used an alcohol-based solution while preparing for surgery, and that “improper use” of a heated mattress during surgery led to his burns.
The report said Paul had “created an ideal situation in which the unusual combination would cause severe burns”. increase.
“More concerning, Paul’s injury occurred after another patient was injured in a similar incident, and the Trust had clearly taken steps to avoid a recurrence of such an incident. It’s incredible what happened to Paul and how it affected his life.It’s been tough on him physically and mentally.
“Nothing can make up for what he went through, but we are happy to have given him the answer he deserves. We ask that the guidance on the use of
Diane Wake, Chief Executive Officer of The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust, previously said:
“We have investigated this case comprehensively. While this particular type of heated mattress is suitable for most surgical procedures, it is no longer used for the vascular surgery performed on Hickman. “